|The Punta Gorda Woman's Club was organized in 1925. Charter members were
associated with three separate clubs which where active in Punta Gorda in the early
part of the century. These groups included the Women's Civic Association, the
Married Ladies Club and the Fortnightly Club.
The building was erected in 1927 on the land donated by Judge William Fenmore
Cooper of Cook County, Illinois.
The Woman's Club Building has over the years been the meeting place for various
religious, civic and political groups. During World War II, the USO was located there
for the benefit of the soldiers stationed at the Punta Gorda Air Field.
At one time the Punta Gorda Library occupied one of the front rooms and was
operated by the women of the Club. In 1957, the City made available a site on Retta
Esplanade and the Woman's club donated the new building for the library.
In 2000, the deed to the Woman's Club Building was transferred to Old Punta Gorda,
Inc. now the Punta Gorda Historical Society, whose office is now located in one of the
front rooms of the building.
The Punta Gorda Woman's Club continues to meet and hold fundraisers in the
building and works together with the Punta Gorda Historical Society on projects
beneficial to the community and particularly, the historic Punta Gorda Woman's Club
The Woman's Club Building is available for parties, receptions, meetings, etc. Income
from the rental of the building helps to support the on going renovations and upkeep
of the building. As a community service the Building is available at no cost for
children activities such as Scouts
For information about renting the Building please call 941-639-1887
|The Woman's Club Building
Punta Gorda Historical Society Office
118 Sullivan St. Punta Gorda Fl. 33950
941-639-1887 open Mon. - Fri. 10am - 2pm